Author: David Montaño
Jenkins is an open source continuous integration tool written in Java. The project was forked from Hudson after a dispute with Oracle.
- It is a server-based system running in a servlet container such as Apache Tomcat.
- It supports SCM tools including AccuRev, CVS, Subversion, Git, Mercurial, Perforce, Clearcase and RTC
- Can execute Apache Ant and Apache Maven based projects as well as arbitrary shell scripts and Windows batch commands.
- The primary developer of Jenkins is Kohsuke Kawaguchi.
Builds can be started by various means:
- triggered by commit in a version control system
- scheduling via a cron-like mechanism
- building when other builds have completed
- requesting a specific build URL